Monday 14 July
- Salva Kiir accused Riek Machar of using ‘spiritual powers’ to mobilise.
- SPLM/A-in-Opposition claimed they killed 15 government troops who attempted to raid cattle in Unity State.
- SPLM/A-in-Opposition claimed SPLA launched new attacks in Unity State last weekend.
- The IGAD official who has been reported calling Machar and Kiir “stupid” claimed he was misquoted.
- Youths in the UN camp in Bentiu demanded that the humanitarian agencies provide jobs.
- South Sudan’s Defence Minister claimed that the EU has insufficient evidence against the military generals who are being sanctioned.
Tuesday 15 July
- The SPLM/A and the SPLM/A-in-Opposition accused each other of violating the ceasefire.
- The SPLM/A-in-Opposition accused Kiir of calling for an ethnic war.
- It was announced that Salva Kiir will attend the US-Africa summit next month.
- The US urged the warring parties to continue the peace talks.
- Fighting between SPLA and SPLA-in-Opposition broke out in Unity State.
- Increasing number of Hepatitis E reported in Lakes State.
- SPLA attacked during food distribution in Nhialdiu, Unity State.
Wednesday 16 July
- Community leaders in Jonglei State asked UNMISS to relocate displaced people from Bor.
- Riek Machar presented his plan for federalism, including making new states.
- MSF reported “shocking” levels of malnutrition among children in South Sudan.
- The UN reported that nearly 7 million people are in need of aid in South Sudan.
Thursday 17 July
- Salva Kiir requested a swift reconciliation process.
- At least 300 youths from Bahr el Ghazal announced that they will join Riek Machar.
- UN threatened to sanction South Sudan as a response to the SPLA’s arms deal with China.
- The SPLA defended its recent arms purchase.
- Five more deaths in recent fighting in Northern Bahr el Gazhal were reported.
- Amnesty International requested that the UN imposes arms embargo on South Sudan.
- 18 people were reported dead in an attack by unknown gunmen in Pigi county, Jonglei.
- Western Bahr el Ghazal state governor Rizik Zackaraia Hassan, requested that South Sudan’s capital to be transferred from Juba to Wau.
- IGAD mediator met with Riek Machar.
Friday 18 July
- SPLM/A- in-Opposition criticised China for its contradictory involvement in South Sudan.
- Fighting broke out within a SPLA unit in Upper Nile.
- A reconciliation process between Twic East clans began.
Saturday 19 July
- Preliminary findings of the African Union Commission of Inquiry in South Sudan reveal grave human rights violations and mass graves.
- The Governor of Eastern Equatoria State called for unity.
- South Sudan Community in Norway announced that it will boycott Independence Day celebrations.
- Salva Kiir said Riek Machar should be tried in court for corruption.
Sunday 20 July
- Clashes broke out between SPLA and SPLA-in-Opposition in Nasir.
- The UN condemned the attack on Nasir by opposition forces in South Sudan.
- SPLM/A-in-Opposition announced that they will send a delegation to meet president Museveni.