Monday 11 August
- The US criticised the warring parties for their failure to meet the deadline for the formation of a transitional government.
- The SPLA-in-Opposition claimed to have killed five government soldiers in Unity State.
- The South Sudanese government accused the SPLA-in-Opposition of attacking Nasser (Upper Nile State).
- Machar concluded the talks with the Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir.
Tuesday 12 August
- The US offered South Sudan $180 million in food aid.
- The UN Security Council reported that the warring parties in South Sudan are arming themselves in preparation for further fighting.
- The UN Security Council warned that sanctions may be imposed on ‘spoilers’ of the peace negotiations.
Wednesday 13 August
- Warrap State health ministry announced that 69 people have been killed by a malaria-typhoid outbreak in Warrap.
- The SPLM/A-in-Opposition accused the government of planting landmines.
- The South Sudan parliament approved the annual budget.
Thursday 14 August
- Exxon Mobile ended its oil search in South Sudan.
- South Sudan’s foreign minister spoke against UN sanctions.
- IGAD called for tough actions against the South Sudanese leaders.
- Machar demanded a role in the upcoming IGAD summit on South Sudan.
- Salva Kiir removed the Pibor Commissioner.
- Machar declared that Kiir has no place in a transitional government.
Friday 15 August
- Fighting between the SPLA and the SPLA-in-Opposition broke out in Unity State
- The UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) condemned the fighting in Bentiu,Unity State.
- IGAD extended the ongoing South Sudan peace talks to 28 August.
- Former political detainees released a programme for political reform.
Saturday 16 August
- A Catholic radio station was shut down by a South Sudanese official.
- Western Bahr el Ghazal state open for a federalism debate.
- Khartoum reaffirmed that Sudan does not provide support for the SPLA-in-Opposition.
Sunday 17 August
- Riek Machar rejected Salva Kiirs offer to be entitled second vice president in a transitional government.
- The South Sudanese government called on Sudan to sever its ties with the SPLA-in-Opposition.
- The IGAD leaders’ summit on South Sudan was postponed.