Monday 29 June
- South Sudan’s proposed budget for the upcoming fiscal year, is described as “ambitious under the current circumstances” with the ongoing civil war hampering the economy.
- International Crisis Group: South Sudan: No Sanctions without a Strategy.
- South Sudanese rebels’ allied to Riek Machar claimed their forces have regained control of Leer county in Unity state from pro-government troops.
- Following recent clashes both the SPLA and SPLA (IO) claimed to be in control of Farajalla town, close to the state capital of Western Bahr el Ghazal, Wau.
Tuesday 30 June
- A report by UN rights investigators accuses SPLA of brutality and widespread human right abuses in Unity state, including gang-rape and torture.
- The South Sudanese government admitted losing control of Malakal in Upper Nile state following clashes with the SPLA (IO) over the weekend.
- The three South Sudanese factions are meeting in Arusha, Tanzania to negotiate the way forward.
Wednesday 1 July
- Al Jazeera, In Pictures: Abyei, a non-state entity of post-war Sudanese divide.
- Western Equatoria’s state government condemned the ongoing SPLA activities and crackdown in Mundri West and Maridi counties, warning that it might spread the conflict.
- The Aguelek Shilluk forces, commanded by Major General Johnson Olony, have officially declared their merger and incorporation into the SPLA (IO).
Thursday 2 July
- The UN Security Council imposed sanctions on six South Sudanese generals, in the latest international attempt to quell the civil war.
- UN Secretary-GeneralBan Ki-moon condemned a deadly attack against the UN ‘protection-of-civilians’ site in Malakal in Upper Nile state, resulting in one dead and at least six wounded.
- The US government placed sanctions on leaders from opposing military forces; SPLA military commander Gabriel Jok Riak, and opposition commander Simon Gatwech Dual.
- Riek Machar appointed a senior official of the ethnic Shilluk-based forces, Jukino Fidel Nyikayo, as governor of Fashoda state, home to the Shilluk kingdom and one of SPLM/A (IO) 21 newly created federal states.
Friday 3 July
- Al Jazeera: In South Sudan, camps offer no refuge from divisions and violence.
- At least 15 people were killed and over 20 injured in a revenge attack between the Pan-Nguong and Pan-Awuor sub-clans in Lakes state county of Cueibet.