Monday 11 April
- President Salva Kiir appointed nine new ambassadors, a move seen as an attempt to solidify his diplomatic roots in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Tuesday 12 April
- The SPLA (IO) accused the South Sudanese government air force of shelling their positions in Wau County, Western Bahr el Ghazal State.
- The local command of SPLA has reportedly arrested up to 154 people in different parts of Northern Bahr el Ghazal State, generating tensions between the civilians and the army.
Wednesday 13 April
- SPLM (IO)’s Deputy Chairman, Alfred Ladu Gore returned to Juba.
- The SPLA have permitted the Ceasefire and Transitional Security Arrangements Monitoring Mechanism (CTSAMM) to visit their military sites on 19 April to verify whether Juba has been demilitarized per the August 2015 peace agreement.
Thursday 14 April
- The Government of South Sudan was accused of preventing a team from the CTSAMM ceasefire monitoring mechanism from entering into Tendera area of Western Equatoria State.
- The Guardian covers economic hardship in South Sudan: “’There’s no work, no money’: oil-rich but desperately poor South Sudan shuts up shop”
Friday 15 April
- According to the Ethiopian government, a cross-border attack allegedly carried out by Murle tribesmen on Friday 15 April have left 208 dead from the Nuer community in the Gambela region in western Ethiopia. More than 100 children have reportedly been kidnapped, and over 2,000 livestock raided. The Ethiopian government has called for a joint military offensive with Juba in response to the attacks.
- The New York Times: “Deadly Attacks in Ethiopia Leave Victims Wondering Why”
- Government forces and the SPLA (IO) trade allegations of attacks and looting west of Bentiu, Unity State.
- The Guardian: “Tensions run high as rebels return to South Sudan’s capital”
Sunday 17 April
- President Salva Kiir stated he might run for another term in office after 2018.
- The SPLM (IO) confirmed the release of 21 members in Juba. They were detained by the National Security Service while attempting to mobilize people to a reception of SPLM (IO) Deputy Chairman, Alfred Ladu Gore.
Tuesday 19 April