Tuesday 7 June
- Authorship of New York Times Op-ed debated: “South Sudan Needs Truth, Not Trials”
- The Guardian: “South Sudan leaders did not sign off New York Times article, aides say”
- Foreign Policy: “The New York Times South Sudan Op-Ed That Wasn’t”
- The Washington Post: “Who wrote that op-ed? The New York Times isn’t sure.”
- Sudan Tribune: “President Kiir’s office admits responsibility for controversial anti-justice article”
- Sudan Tribune: “New York Times regrets publishing controversial Op-ed on South Sudan”
- President Salva Kiir’s office issued a statement justifying the appointment of 19 presidential advisors, asserting that the decision falls within the prerogative of the president.
- Foreign Policy, Letters from Juba “China’s Business and Politics in South Sudan”
Wednesday 8 June
- Teacher strike continue:
Thursday 9 June
- The controversial NYT op-ed sparked debate over the alleged establishment of a truth and reconciliation commission instead of a hybrid court to try suspects of war crimes:
- Reuters: “S. and Britain back South Sudan war crimes court”
- Reuters: “Call by South Sudan leaders to nix international tribunal met with dismay
- Bloomberg: “Call to Scrap War Court by South Sudan Leaders Spurs Criticism”
- The Guardian: “Why can’t South Sudan have truth and trials?”
- Voice of America: “HRW Urges the AU to Establish a Hybrid Court for South Sudan”
- Radio Tamazuj: “Machar says not opposed to hybrid court
- Sudan Tribune: “South Sudan rival leaders in difference over avoiding trials”
Friday 10 June
- An outbreak of an Ebola-like disease in South Sudan has killed at least 10 people since December in Aweil North and Aweil West counties, Northern Bahr el Ghazal State.
- Sudan and South Sudan agreed to the complete redeployment of forces in the disputed area of Abyei during a Joint Political and Security Mechanism meeting.
Saturday 11 June
- South Sudan’s Transitional Government of National Unity has, in a bid to enhance security, set up a joint integrated police command and operation centre.
Sunday 12 June