Tuesday 9 August
- The government of South Sudan (GOSS) is seeking a US$1.9 billion loan from China to develop its oilfields and roads, as the inflation rate, which exceeded 660 per cent last month, continues to increase.
- SPLA and SPLA (IO) forces clashed around Yei, Central Equatoria State. Clashes have also been reported by the SPLA (IO) around Renk, Nasir and Maban areas, Upper Nile State, and around Raga in Western Bahr el Ghazal state.
- SPLM spokesperson said the return of the ousted First Vice President, (FVP) Riek Machar, to his position, is at the mercy of Taban Deng Gai who replaced him.
- According to the Minister of Finance, Stephen Dhieu, government spending for all goods and services has been halted until the next budget is passed.
- The Guardian: “’Untold devastation’ in South Sudan triggers grave humanitarian crisis”
- The New York Times: “Time to get serious with South Sudan”
Wednesday 10 August
- More than 23,000 people have been affected by floods in Twic East county in Jonglei State.
Thursday 11 August
- The AU Peace and Security Council (PSC) echoed IGAD’s call for the new FVP, Taban Deng Gai, to step down so that Riek Machar can be reinstated upon his return to Juba.
- Small Arms Survey: “Prospects for a UN Arms Embargo on South Sudan: A Response to HSBA Issue Brief 24”
Friday 12 August
- The UN Security Council approved the deployment of an additional 4,000-strong peacekeeping force in South Sudan, despite GOSS’ objections. The Regional Protection Force has a more robust mandate than UNMISS, and will be deployed in Juba. The resolution also threatens a possible arms embargo if GOSS does not cooperate. GOSS has said it might be willing to accept the force if it can negotiate its size, mandate, weapons and members. International media reports on the new development:
- The New York Times: “N. bolsters peacekeeping in South Sudan despite government’s objections”
- Bloomberg “UN Security Council backs more troops to halt war in South Sudan”
- Al Jazeera: “UN approves new peacekeeping force to South Sudan”
- Reuters: “N. approves 4,000 more troops to secure peace in South Sudan capital
- BBC: “UN okays Juba troop deployment as South Sudan objects”
- The Government of South Sudan has reportedly withdrawn diplomatic passports from key former detainees and officials.
- SPLA and SPLA (IO) have reportedly clashed between Lobonok and Rejaf East, on the eastern side of the River Nile, about 30km southeast of Juba.
Sunday 13 August
- The South Sudanese cabinet approved the establishment of cantonment sites and integration of SPLA (IO) members who have switched allegiance to the newly appointed FVP, Taban Deng Gai. The SPLM (IO) loyal to Riek Machar, claim the resolution is a “self-deception” as the new FVP has “no army to integrate”.
- At least 46 people were killed, including the Mayendit County Commissioner, and 30 others injured in an attack by gunmen in the Rubkuai area in Unity State.
- Al Jazeera: “Thousands of South Sudanese flee fighting for Uganda”