Top stories of the week:
- SPLM (IO) leader Riek Machar has fled to neighbouring Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Recruitment of child soldiers is rising in South Sudan, with more than 650 children having been recruited by armed groups so far this year.
- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has ordered an independent investigation into the July raid on a compound in Juba, as well as peacekeepers’ failure to prevent abuse and sexual violence against civilians and foreigners in Juba.
- At least 10 soldiers were reported killed and several others injured after South Sudan’s rival forces clashed in Leer county, Unity State.
- At least 1100 soldiers have reportedly defected from South Sudan People Patriotic Front (SSPF) in Western Equatoria State, and joined Gabriel Changson Chang’s South Sudan Army Forces/ Federal Democratic Party (SSAF/FDP).
* Due to reduced capacity we are only publishing a abbreviated version this week