Tuesday 28 August
- The IGAD mediation team proposed a referendum to decide on the number of states in South Sudan.
Wednesday 29 August
- President Kiir promoted more than 120 army officers to major generals.
- President Kiir arrived in Beijing for the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation taking place on 3-4 September.
- At the forum, China pledged continued economic support to South Sudan.
Friday 31 August
- Riek Machar approved the most recent peace deal with the government of South Sudan.
- The National Salvation Front, the Former Political Detainees, and the People’s Democratic Movement rejected the signing of the most recent document of the revitalised peace agreement.
- After arresting several South Sudanese nationals due to lack of appropriate immigration papers, the government of Kenya announced it will release the detainees.
Saturday 1 September
- The foreign minister of Sudan and chief mediator El-Dirdeiry said Sudan will supervise the formation of a united army in South Sudan.
- The SPLM-IO blamed the SPLA for violent clashes in Yei River.
- IGAD will hold a summit in Nairobi mid-September to address contested issues in the peace process.
Sunday 2 September
- Ethiopia and South Sudan agreed to form a joint security force for border security between the two countries.