Please note that there will be no news update next week. We will be back on Monday 31 December with a two-week TWISS update for week 51 and 52.
Wednesday 12 December
- President Kiir went to South Africa to discuss bilateral relations with his counterpart Cyril Ramaphosa.
- After the second outbreak of Ebola hit the Democratic Republic of Congo, the South Sudan ministry of health decided to start vaccinating people in high risk areas and positions.
- David Loa Eperit for Irin News: “Rebuilding Lives while Awaiting Peace in South Sudan”
Friday 14 December
- The UN secretary-general urged IGAD to emphasise its political efforts to ensure security in South Sudan, and not limits its focus to the deployment of more troops.
- According to UNICEF, 15 000 children remain either missing or separated from families, five years after the civil war broke out.
- A non-signatories group of the peace deal, the South Sudan National Democratic Alliance, agreed to meet with the IGAD special envoy.
- The group’s leader Thomas Cirillo said they do not agree with the revitalised agreement and demand a federal system for the country.